Ok, if you haven’t heard about GDPR by now then it’s probably time to do some catching up! Don’t worry though, we will help you as much as we can. Let’s take a closer look at what’s actually happening and how you can prepare and protect yourself for the upcoming General Data Protection Regulation change.
So, it’s probably the biggest change to the way we have worked over the last 20 years or so ! Although some of us aren’t too keen on change, you don’t have to panic about this one, as long as you follow the correct steps.
There’s a pretty high chance that you use the word ‘data’ at least ten times a day (if not more), considering its the industry buzzword! GDPR will come into affect a lot sooner than you’ve probably realised and ‘data’ is something that will be on top of your priorities when it all ‘kicks off’ across Europe on May 25.
In short the purpose of GDPR is to strengthen and unify data protection for all of us (European Union citizens, which we still are), which will give back control of personal data!
How can I prepare myself?
The first thing you shouldn’t do is panic, as that won’t get you anywhere and it will make a relatively simple procedure much more complicated! The second thing you should do is follow a checklist to ensure that you have everything in one place. Because we are nice and helpful, we’ve got a little checklist for you so you can be as prepared as you possibly can be at this stage of GDPR, just have a look below (please bare in mind that this checklist can change and can be different for each company).
- Be aware – your decision maker within the organisation needs to be aware of GDPR and the impact it will have
- Information & Data – make sure you know exactly what personal data you’ve shared, more importantly makes sure you know who you shared it with
- Privacy information – double check that your current privacy notice meets the GDPR criteria, if not make sure you make the required changes
- Your ‘rights’ – check that all your procedures cover all the rights an individual has within your company (including personal data)
- Data breaches – triple check that you have the right steps in place so you can easily detect, investigate and report any data breaches
- Data protection – have you already chosen someone within your business to look after all the data? If not, you should do that sooner rather than late
How can Fivebars help?
Good question! We have a bespoke software that will take most of the ‘hard’ work away from you! That doesn’t mean that you don’t have to do a little work yourself, however, what this program allows you to do is not have to worry about GDPR, well not much more than you may already are anyway (although as we said, there’s no need to panic)!
As most of us have a hectic work schedule as it is, the last thing you need is another big task to add to you worklife. With the software that we can offer you, you can keep all of the required and important data in one place, whilst doing so much more if you need!
What do I do next?
As far as we’re concerned you have two options, you can either add it to your ‘I’ll look at that later’ pile or you can give yourself a head start. If you give us a call, we can guide you through how, with minimal hassle, you can get yourself setup so you won’t have to rush around in the dying seconds before GDPR officially kicks off.
*Please note, this is not legal advice on GDPR compliance and Fivebars cannot be held accountable if your business does not meet the necessary GDPR requirements